Sunday, June 26, 2011

If It Looks Like A Duck...


Now that I have some language basics firmly, as the Dutch like to say, under my knee, I really enjoy learning new words.

This week, I learned that there is at least one unqualified exception to this rule.

I would have happily lived my entire life in a state of ignorant bliss, free from knowing that the Dutch word for speculum is eendenbek.


Which translates literally to?

Duck's beak. (THEY CALL IT A DUCK'S BEAK!!!)


P.S. Photo credit for this creature for whom my feelings have changed irrevocably can be found here.


2 comments:

  1. Gives new meaning to duck and (un) cover...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious!
    Thanks for the photo credit, that duck gets a lot of page views. A friend of mine once told me he looks like he took the photo of himself.

    ReplyDelete