Monday, September 26, 2011

Quintessentialism


I've been traveling for work over the last six days, the last 48 hours of which have been spent under the scrim of a medicated-but-still-throbbing head cold. 

I really don't understand why I'm sick. 

I mean, it's not like I went sailing in a weekend-long rainstorm, stayed up until 12:30 on Sunday night baking cupcakes, kissed half of my coworkers on the cheek on Monday while serving said cupcakes, celebrated into the wee hours of that night with a fortifying mix of Kahlua, Stolichnaya and milk, and then flew to Washington DC for a lot of jetlag and three long days of meetings. 

What could possibly be unhealthy about that?! 

When I say we went sailing in a weekend-long rainstorm, I'm only exaggerating a little bit. 

It's hard to tell from the photos that we are completely soaked, but trust me: after eight hours in the driving rain, our waterproof clothing was anything but. 

It was at this point that our sailing teacher took pity on us and fed us tea and stroopwafels, a classic Dutch dessert made up of two thin, buttery waffle-like wafers held together with a sticky, caramel-like filling. 

Stroopwafels are certainly the country's culinary highlight.  

Some people might even argue that they're the Netherlands' greatest contribution to humanity.   

Either way, it felt like a quintessential Dutch experience to shiver from dampness while horking down a pair of stroopwafels with Armageddon looming on the horizon.























No comments:

Post a Comment